EPUB 310 - EPUB: Creating eBooks with Adobe InDesign
In this 2-day class Participants learn how to use the software they already use to create print books-InDesign-for the emerging eBook market. Beginning with an overview of digital publishing for the eBook marketplace, the course demonstrates how to prepare existing InDesign files for optimal EPUB and Kindle conversion. The course covers applying professional text formatting, validating EPUBs, and incorporating search-engine friendly metadata, as well as setting up publisher accounts at the major eBook distribution channels and selling eBooks directly to readers through an e-commerce site. While not required to attend we strongly suggest that students bring their personal e-reader such as an iPad or Kindle to test projects on.
Schedule and Pricing
Click here for a schedule of upcoming classes.
- Understanding eBooks and eBook publishing
- Examining the EPUB format
- Using layout order, the Articles panel, and XML tags to manage content flow
- Formatting with paragraph and character styles
- Creating a cover image
- Optimizing images
- Exporting InDesign content to an EPUB
- Including drop caps, pull quotes, and text wraps
- Acquiring an ISBN for eBooks
- Converting an EPUB to Kindle, iBookstore, and Nook formats
- Distributing eBooks with resellers and aggregators
While it’s not absolutely mandatory, this class is not intended for people brand new to InDesign. If you’ve never created an InDesign document before, we’d suggest our introductory 2-day InDesign class Adobe InDesign Essentials as a prerequisite.
How to Enroll
Please see our Enrollment Page (http://www.ledet.com/enroll) for our enrollment form.
- Making Students First eBook
- Cover Art, Book Metadata, & Expanding EPUBs
- Paragraph Rules, Background Colors, & Margin/Padding
- Converting to the Kindle Format (Mobi/KF8)
- Alt Text for Images
Our goal is to make sure your class meets your objectives, not ours. Therefore, all of our outlines are treated as guides to help steer the workshop. This outline does not guarantee that all the topics listed will be covered in the time allowed. The amount of material covered is based on the skill level of the student audience. We may change or alter course topics to best suit the classroom situation.
* Outline Attached Content (Class Times)
We have training centers in Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, Denver, San Diego and Washington DC. We also have the option of live instructor lead online offerings for our courses. Our network of rental facilities is also an option for most of our high demand classes. If coming to a rental facility, please double-check the location of your class with our office to make sure you get to the right location.
As an option for customers needing completely customizable training we offer private onsite training and Individual instructor consulting sessions. To inquire about custom training please fill out our private training request form.
[Add to Wishlist]